Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bronson (2008)

I keep thinking about "Bronson", a movie I saw this weekend. It's about Britain's most violent prisoner, still alive and serving time.
Funny thing, I didn't even want to see it, cause I hated "Drive" from the same director - it was too violent and too artsy, not in a good way. But everyone was raging how good Tom Hardy was in "Bronson", and since I'm going through a Tom Hardy phase, I made myself watch it.

Now I wasn't really that stricken by the movie right away, I didn't really know what to make of it. But now I realize it just doesn't let go of me. I keep thinking about it. Can't really pin point why, is it the movie itself, is it Hardy or is it the story. It's probably a bit of everything, but to be honest, I guess it's mostly Hardy. It's difficult NOT to relate to the character he portrays, with his enormous charisma, and I'm afraid he's too handsome even with a shaved head and an intimidating mustache.
Refn has created a movie that's carefully mimicking the character's personality and life - crazy, pointless and doomed on one hand, but humorous, self content and fascinating on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment